FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AAB threatens to leave oneworld
View Single Post
Old Jan 19, 2019, 4:27 am
citytom

Programs: EC Silver FC Silver
Originally Posted by N1Rotate
QR adds a lot of 1-stop route options to oneworld that are not possible without QR or only possible with a lot of backtracking.
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
That seems a somewhat biassed assessment. Qatar offers a wide measure of one-stop connectivity that is simply not available with other OneWorld carriers. In part this is due to the whacky network of routes added recently: Bristol Penang anyone?
Forgive me if I am being naive - I appreciate your point that QR offers better one-stop options from non-hub airports than any other Oneworld provider, and this is a benefit to passengers, especially situated 1 flight away from hub airports. Though I struggle to see how this benefits the other alliance partners, rather than take away their business?

In the traditional model I can fly from Machester to London to HKG with BA, or from LAX with American, then hop on a short connection flight to somewhere else in Asia with Cathay, both the domestic carrier and destination carrier benefit from alliance. Qatar are directly challenging this model for any origin and destination point , there is no need to use BA, Iberia or Finnair in Europe; Cathay, JAL or Malaysia in Asia. If Qatar will fly you direct to your destination from Doha and bypass the regional hub.

Is the assumption that those situated in Manchester and Bristol only fly BA shorthaul throughout the year because they earn status with Qatar - and would otherwise stick with EasyJet?

At best I can see this being a zero sum game - and understand the broad apathy shown by OW CEOs in response to AAB's comments. As I've already said, from a passenger perspective, I really hope QR stay in the alliance.