FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Agent to me: "You are making fun of me because of my accent" ????
Old Jan 18, 2019, 7:14 pm
HNLbasedFlyer

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by docbert
Given that they don't state the call may be recorded (do they? I certainly don't remember it), it would be an egregious legal violation for many callers if they did...

Any calls from California, for example, require the consent of all parties to be recorded.
Not exactly. The law has been tested at least a couple of time - Young V Hilton Worldwide and Kight v Cashcall - both times the Court of Appeals ruled Hilton and Cashcall could record the calls, as one does not have a reasonable expectation of the call not being recorded.

Anyway, UA states online they "may" record calls.

https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly/privacy.html

Offline purchases: Telephone, travel agent or ticket counter

To make a purchase or transact other business with a United Customer Contact Center agent, a travel agent (including online travel agents outside of United), or a customer service representative (collectively, “Reservations Agents”), Reservations Agents collect data such as payment information, passport information, birth date, name, addresses, email addresses, and telephone numbers. We may monitor and/or record telephone calls to Reservations Agents. By continuing with the call, you are deemed to consent to such monitoring and/or recording.