FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Agent to me: "You are making fun of me because of my accent" ????
Old Jan 18, 2019, 5:16 pm
zrs70
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Agent to me: "You are making fun of me because of my accent" ????

I'm a little stunned by this. I'll give the long version, and I will be as honest as I can remember about this conversation.

I've been trying to get a MP business ticket on the inaugural TAP flight SFO-LIS. Final destination is AMS.

MP and TAP haven't seen eye to eye lately, and tickets have not been available. But I called on a lark today, and I found an agent who saw the availability. The call was dropped in a dead zone, so I called back.

The next agent did not see the flight at all.

I called a third time. This is where the trouble begins. I am bolding what I said that was out of frustration - and then how the agent initially responded.

Me: I'd like a one way ticket from San Francisco to Amsterdam via Lisbon on TAP.
Agent: When is the return date.
Me: No, just one way
Agent: Oh, San Francisco to Amsterdam, returning from Lisbon
Me: No, I would like to fly to Amsterdam VIA Lisbon
Agent: Why do you want to go that route? You can fly via Newark or somewhere else
Me (now kind of frustrated): Are you listing to me??? I will say it a third time. I want to go from San Francisco to Amsterdam on TAP via Lisbon.
Agent: You are making fun of me because of my accent. I can't believe how rude you are being.
Me (swallowing my pride): I'm sorry. I should not have spoken that way. I apologize (this is verbatim what I said).
Agent: Nothing
Me: Say again?
Agent: There are no flights. Go online look for yourself if you don't believe me.
Me: Let me understand. You are suggesting I go online.
Agent: Yes
Me: Tell me you name again?
Agent: CLICK

I called back, got another agent who found the flights and ticketed right away.