FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Dispute closed in my favour due to no response from merchant? (Canada)
Old Jan 18, 2019, 11:46 am
AMEXTrain

Originally Posted by BugsyPal
Unlike say Visa or MasterCard, when it comes to chargebacks AMEX is basically judge and jury. That is because they are both the CC network *and* bank they pretty much have all information required when a chargeback in initiated. What they don't know can be found by asking cardholder and or merchant/retailer.

Terms regarding chargebacks are spelled out in every merchant agreement. Those who accept AMEX thus know or should know what they need to do in order to solve chargeback requests. That the vendor in this particular situation did not respond in time to Amex's request for further information could mean they just said "eff it" and figured no matter what they did AMEX was going to reverse the charge. Or, they couldn't supply requested information to substantiate the charge and thus prevent reversal.

Over years have had a few things needed sorting out via AMEX (goods ordered not received), and have to say once things were decided in my favor never heard a peep again from seller, nor AMEX about the matter. In fact the cases all ended with "dispute closed due to no response from seller".

FWIU Amex's decisions on these matters is pretty final. A seller would have to bring some serious game to convince Amex to reopen/reconsider a dispute once it's closed, especially due to no response.

If it makes you feel better keep necessary paperwork along with names and when spoken to in a file some place, then get on with life. Seller was tasked with doing something, they didn't so it's their loss, you did everything were supposed.
Originally Posted by Often1
It is highly unlikely that the card issuer would bother to go to the time and expense of responding. Once that is the case, every second expended is a further waste of time and money. Thus, many chargeback disputes are simply resolved in the customer's favor by default.

Although it is hard to imagine that this matter would be reopened short of an investigation showing that OP is part of an organized gang which drains these cards, there is also nothing OP can do. He has disputed the charge, he has received a credit and that is the end of it. If something arises in the future, he can deal with that.

The advice to simply document everything is sound. Turn it all into a PDF file and archive it wherever you archive other such matters.
Thank you both for the advice. I have definitely kept all of my supporting documents in a couple tidy PDF files which in my opinion are more than enough evidence for AMEX to side with me even if the merchant had responded. I guess I will move forward and hope for the best but I won't think of that money as being there until such a time has passed that it is beyond unlikely for the case to be re-opened.

Thank you for reassuring me!