FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Minimum Miles to Waitlist - New "Enhancement"
Old Jan 18, 2019, 9:28 am
Gongzuokuang

Programs: Cathay MPC, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Domestic Airline Nobody
Minimum Miles to Waitlist - New "Enhancement"

Originally Posted by percysmith
New enhancement: must have 70% to waitlist

I guess I can understand why they would do this. But this is a BIG change. You'd think it would've been announced. I thought I read that they hired some new clown from QF to manage the loyalty program. Perhaps the intent was really to dismantle it?

Past practice would've allowed you to waitlist and then transfer the miles if/when it cleared. This means now means that you need to transfer the miles -- essentially locking them up -- with the HOPE that their new stingy release model may cough-up some seats. I can easily see a scenario where I move miles, then nothing clears because of this new "reduce availability by 100%" policy change from June 22, 2018. Now the miles must sit dormant.

I don't always waitlist first / transfer later. But at times I did and it was nice not to have to lock up the miles. Particularly if I was waitlisting a flight that I would eventually cancel before it cleared (due to a change in plans).

Perhaps this will somehow make it better for those that earn redemptions with butt-in-seat time. But I'm trying to picture how much better it would make it. Could they really have had that big of a problem with people waitlisting who were unable to produce the miles in a timely basis when the waitlists cleared?