FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Travel waiver: AA flight change due to weather
Old Jan 18, 2019, 8:30 am
JJeffrey
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Nirvana91
I'm supposed to be flying ORD-LAX tonight at 8:30pm - yeah, good luck with that... Unfortunately my wife and I are on award tickets through BA Avios so when I called (tried two times at different times in the evening yesteday) they told me there is literally nothing they can switch me to since pretty much everything was zero'd out across the board, and even for the few options I might have had, they would need to have saver award availability to book me on those flights, and there was nothing.

The only thing they told me I could do was show up at the airport tonight and hope the flight gets out, and then if/when the flight eventually cx's I will then have lots more options to switch to for tomorrow or Sunday. I am by no means an AA expert, but my somewhat-limited research online and here on FT seems to indicate that my award ticket gives me pretty much zero flexibility, is that accurate? I even said I'd be willing to leave much earlier and connect literally anywhere if necessary: DFW, PHX, NYC, PHL, wherever, and could fly into any LA-area airport, but they said I have zero options and am just going to have to roll the dice. Since the flight still shows on time for now, there isn't anything that can be done. I kinda wish they would just cx it now so I could avoid going to the airport at all.
For day of departure irrops situations, on award tickets you definitely do not need award space available in order to be rebooked on other options. Unfortunately since you booked with BA Avios that might be muddying the water a little bit. I would definitely try a few HUCA's today.