FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Unable to Delete Segment on a Basic Economy Ticket - Any options?
Old Jan 17, 2019, 9:57 pm
MrAndy1369

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by exwannabe
Maybe the family can find a homeless person to take your place on a free flight to sunny LA. Use a refundable ticket for him to clear security, then fly him on your ticket. The odds of an ID check at a domestic gate are near nil.
Would definitely not recommend that. Reasons and examples being, if the flight had an emergency on board, they would list you as dead/in pain, and DL probably wouldn't want to be liable for the "fake" passenger. It'd quickly complicate things and probably can be considered fraud and can result in a lawsuit by DL, plus maybe being added to the "no-fly" list.

Also, if the homeless passenger misbehaves on the flight or causes problems, he may be asked for ID upon landing by the police, and seeing the ticket and name mismatch can easily cause you problems, too.

If he mines information about you from a DL agent (asking to "double check" the address on file), he might have your information, including birthday and address. Identify theft!

Unintended effects are the worst. I know my examples are probably extreme, but technically, you'd be responsible for the person's behavior and any fallout, as it'd be your name on the ticket. Just wouldn't recommend for a complete stranger. :\ However, I'm very risk adverse, and my listed examples probably aren't anything most people thought about.