FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 2019 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & Premium Transcon Service
Old Jan 17, 2019, 6:29 am
mad_atta

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by findark
Catering standards are the same (though apparently meal thresholds are lower), but the actual food ex-Mexico is different since it is catered there. At 763mi for IAH-MEX, I'd be on the fence but probably pass on the upgrade. Especially if "we" is two of you and the middle is currently empty
Re the thresholds being lower, that makes sense, as I was wondering why IAH-MEX qualified for a full meal when the block time is only the exact 2h 20m minimum (so actual flight time would be a fair bit less). Yes there are two of us, and for now at least the middle seat is empty.

Originally Posted by tstauck
I flew breakfast LAX-MEX flight about a year ago and the meal was pretty substantial (I'll post a pic in a min) and the flight time was only about 2 hr 45 min. $73 definitely isn't too bad for an upgrade. Not sure of your status, but I was CPU'd on my MEX flight even as a Silver.
Thanks for posting the pic! I must say if it was a breakfast flight I certainly wouldn't bother - I'm no great fan of airline breakfasts and I also won't want to drink at that hour, so I'd get less value from an upgrade. I agree $73 is a good price - the upgrade cost really is $129 but I've already paid $56 for E+ seats, reimbursed by my Amex Plat credit. In my experience a refund of that cost, due to paying to upgrade to F in my case, doesn't trigger a reversal of the reimbursement.