FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Manhattan (NYC) (from Oct. 2018)
Old Jan 16, 2019, 6:41 pm
C17PSGR

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by nsummy
I'm not an extensive nyc traveler but over the years I think I have ran the gauntlet of the SPG properties there. If you sort by distance and filter properties 0-5 miles, you will get mostly Manhattan properties. Filtering by brand makes it easier also. A few opinions, ranked in no particular order:

2. W Union Square - Legit place, treated pretty well despite no upgrade. The room I got hadn't been cleaned at all, looked like a party had taken place (i took the bottle of red wine from the mini bar as compensation haha). They gave me a new one immediately. This W doesn't feel like a W at all to be honest. Lots of whites and tans and brighter colors. People say its the best W in nyc but I think that's just because it doesn't feel like a W. Its only a few blocks away from the Edition and I think if that is the area and type of hotel you want, hands down choose Union Square W over Edition.

8. W Times Square. Probably what I consider the best W in NY, but neck and neck with the W downtown. The real con with this place is that it is literally in times square. Tons of people around and the uber drivers always get confused (probably because they are used to throngs of clueless people ordering ubers around there). But go up into the elevators and its like you just went from mayhem to luxury. Cool lobby, and is quiet. My ny friends made fun of me for staying there and were mad they had to come to Times Square but they were also up in my room taking a million photos out of the windows. Id recommend this place if the rate is good.

Thanks!

For my next stay, the W Times Square and W Union Square are basically the same rate. I'm working in midtown so Times Square is sort of more convenient but ... its Times Square ... and Union Square is more interesting.

Any thoughts on which hotel treats PPE/Ambassador's better in terms of upgrades, etc.? I suppose they both have the destination fee but don't know if they are different.

I suppose I go with the Maxwell (I've stayed in it when it was a W) but the reviews are so bad!