FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - FAQ : Selecting Annual Choice Benefit
View Single Post
Old Jan 16, 2019, 5:14 pm
ftrichard

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by cruisermeg
So if you've achieved lifetime status, and no longer need to stay ANY nights, you're not allowed to make a choice? 20+ years as an MR member, Plat/PP lifetime earned the old, hard way, 1000 paid nights, 2 million points and 10+ years of status means you get nothing?

My head's spinning reading the TCs but really, why exclude Lifetime Members from being able to make an annual choice. I'm obviously loyal.
I don't have sympathy for this predicament. The Annual Choice benefit is for active customers as a reward for staying for 50 and 75 nights in a particular calendar year (or who otherwise play the system with credit cards and meetings so it looks like you stayed 50 or 75 nights a year). Nothing stops you getting suite upgrades, late check-out, lounge access, and premium internet with the rest of the Platinum pool with no further demonstration of loyalty needed. These Platinum benefits are not nothing.

It's not obvious that Lifetime members are loyal. It's obvious that they *were* loyal at some point in the past. It would be quite possible for a Lifetime Platinum to stay one or two nights a year or no nights in a particular year and you'd still expect to get an annual gift of tangible value (free night can be easily worth US$250 or more) until the end of time with little or no spend?

As a Lifetime member you can prove your continuing loyalty and get the Choice Benefit at 50 and 75 nights very easily: just continue to stay 50 and 75 nights.

Last edited by ftrichard; Jan 16, 2019 at 5:23 pm