FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Question two, RE: policing overhead bin storage.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 11:30 am
BobRoss

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Catbert10
I've been a frequent business traveler since the early 90s. I don't recall there being issues with overhead space until airlines starting charging for checked bags. I realize correlation doesn't equal causation, but...

I agree with IADCAFlyer. Incent people to check bags rather than incent them to carry them on. That will solve the problem.
I'm pretty sure it's a direct line between checked bag fees and increased carryons. At least, I recall hearing from airline execs somewhere that there is a direct correlation between checked bag fee introduction (and raised prices) and folks carrying on.

In this article, a FA does mention it: https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...bin/514483002/

"It happens every day," says Joshua Zweighaft, a flight attendant for an airline based in New York. "Since we started charging for checked luggage with our lowest fares, people have been carrying on as much as possible. Combined with people putting jackets and small items in the overhead bins, we run out of space on full flights regularly."
The answer, if the airlines think it is a problem (which I don't believe they do), is to stop charging for checked bags, and (if applicable) lower lost/delayed/damaged bag rates.