FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Wailea Beach Marriott Resort & Spa, Maui, Hawaii [Master Thread]
Old Jan 15, 2019, 7:13 pm
edgewood49

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by Nash_Andrew
Booked on a discounted cash rate of ~$390/night for six nights in mid-Feb. Just me and my wife, I'm Plat and she's Gold. A few questions for the experts on the forum:

Hotel related:
- Best strategy for securing an upgrade, to the extent possible? I sometimes have good luck with calling the front desk and asking nicely a few days before check in. Any thoughts or suggestions on particular room type/location to request would be ideal.
- Sounds like the Plat breakfast is what it is - aka not great. Will probably take the Starbucks offer and do the upgrade to the full buffet on those days where we're hungry, or walk over to Wailea shops occasionally for a bite. What restaurant over there is best for a casual breakfast - is Gourmet Market (noted above) the only option or are there others?
- The gym looks like a good one... any idea how the fitness classes are? Looks like some may be included in the resort fee.
- Also, I saw mention of access to tennis courts but wasn't sure which ones as there don't seem to be any on the property. Anyone have experience with this - are they close, easy to get courts, what are the prices?

More generally:
- Should we rent a car? Have never been to Maui before and certainly want to get out and explore. If we do rent one, should we do so for a couple days and then stay on- or near to the property the other few days? If we don't rent the whole time, what's the best strategy for getting to and from the airport? Is it easy to get a rental car on the property or in the Wailea area?
- What are the best/"must do" items off property? We certainly like outdoor activities and beautiful sightseeing type opportunities.
- Any recs for nearby restaurants for dinners off property?

Many thanks in advance! I will post a review w/ some pictures after our stay.

I have stayed here with no care rental and some without. The issue is where do you want to go while you're here, it's a long drive to get over to the other resorts in Lahaina and beyond. You can walk between the Wailea resorts and save the money. Just saying