FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AA Bump Rates; compensation for VDB / Voluntary Denied Boarding (master thread)
Old Jan 15, 2019, 1:51 pm
MrGoalie

Didn't report these as they came up, but I've made out like a bandit this past year.

On 3/25 I picked up a $300 voucher for ORD-SNA. Was traveling for a business training, and had the first flight of the day scheduled, and they just needed to VDB to the next flight about an hour later. Jumped at the offer (nothing better to do). They later offered $1,200 to take a flight later in the day, but I didn't want to chance it.

On 3/28 I picked up another $500 for SNA-ORD. Wife told me to walk in and volunteer right away if able, since I was solo and returning home, and I can work from practically anywhere if needed. They took my VDB, upgraded my boarding group, and issued 2 meal vouchers, and rerouted me SNA-PHX-ORD-overnight-AZO. Plane was held on the ground for maintenance (dent in cargo door). Ended up missing my PHX-ORD connection, but when I arrived, ended up having a rebook done already for the next morning, #1 standby for the red-eye. Gave me an option to wait 5 hours or take an overnight hotel. Opted to wait and work, and got on the red-eye. Made my connection to AZO.

Took my $800, booked ORD-LGA to do a long weekend with the wife and my older 2 daughters in NYC. Arrived at ORD on 7/19, must have had some WX and other issues in the country, because there were 60 on standby for our flight and they were asking for 8 VOLs at $800 per. With the 4 of us in no hurry, we took the offer. Got a meal voucher each, and put on standby for the remaining flights until our confirmed about 4 hours later.

Got plenty of vouchers now for a spring vacation with all 4 of my daughters now! Just got back from Costa Rica with my wife after I used vouchers to pay for her ticket when I was down there for business as well.