FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Worth purchasing miles during sales?
View Single Post
Old Jan 15, 2019, 12:51 pm
pogonation

Programs: BD*G, BAGold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by nexusCFX
Wow, that's a lot of caveats to use the supposed "best best" option. I wouldn't be putting my faith in a last-minute J seat if I'm flying to study somewhere. Also, if you're booking YYZ-BKK, the availability is not necessarily the same as YYZ-HKG. Cathay has married segments for awards.

YYZ-TPE is generally a little more expensive than that, but originating in Asia can be that low. I wish I was originating in Asia like OP. Although, it's really TPE-YVR-YYZ.

I generally agree that you shouldn't stock up on miles just with the hope of using them, but I think you're really underestimating the value that these provide and I personally think you're overvaluing Alaska miles. Honestly though, fewer people buying Lifemiles is better for me, so I'm totally cool with it. I agree with your general sentiment though that there are also good opportunities to just buy paid J at good prices and earn miles along with that, but as I mentioned in my original post, the chance of me achieving paid bookings close to what I got with only about $2500 in Lifemiles is zero.
I meant best option financially and that he can get a direct flight. When I mean best option, I only mean if something is available since I would never recommend buying miles unless you are going to be spending them within the next hour.

I agree there are times when lifemiles can be valuable and obviously in your case this is the case since, as you mention YYZ-Asia is usually pretty expensive. I use them myself for F travel and depending on route they can offer great value. I was mainly replying to the OP that in general he can get much better value and flexibility if he can depart from somewhere nearby. For example he/she could get that TPE flight for the same as that $2500 you paid for lifemiles except he/she will earn miles, be able to make changes easier and have more dates available to them.

To be fair I always keep a small reserve of 50 lifemiles for a potential last minute booking. The beauty of lifemiles for me is one-way bookings =)