FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Worth purchasing miles during sales?
View Single Post
Old Jan 15, 2019, 12:34 pm
nexusCFX

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by pogonation
As long as you are flexible and can book last minute then it is possible. Obviously also depends what time of year you are flying too.
Wow, that's a lot of caveats to use the supposed "best best" option. I wouldn't be putting my faith in a last-minute J seat if I'm flying to study somewhere. Also, if you're booking YYZ-BKK, the availability is not necessarily the same as YYZ-HKG. Cathay has married segments for awards.

Originally Posted by pogonation
That was just an example (although the one I would take so I could just catch a direct home). Other examples include TPE-YYZ with AC for £2000 which avoids the need to go through PEK. Can collect 32k UA miles for that trip.
YYZ-TPE is generally a little more expensive than that, but originating in Asia can be that low. I wish I was originating in Asia like OP. Although, it's really TPE-YVR-YYZ.

I generally agree that you shouldn't stock up on miles just with the hope of using them, but I think you're really underestimating the value that these provide and I personally think you're overvaluing Alaska miles. Honestly though, fewer people buying Lifemiles is better for me, so I'm totally cool with it. I agree with your general sentiment though that there are also good opportunities to just buy paid J at good prices and earn miles along with that, but as I mentioned in my original post, the chance of me achieving paid bookings close to what I got with only about $2500 in Lifemiles is zero.