FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Citi AA cards: General discussion and PUBLIC online offers (2019-2020)
Old Jan 15, 2019, 11:49 am
bobert24

Originally Posted by darthbimmer
Last week I applied for a Citi AA card. The app went pending. "We'll be in touch soon." Today I got a phone call from a person who identified himself as a CitiBank employee and right off the bat asked me to state my birth date. Mindful that this call could be a request for more information about my app-- or could be phishing (fraud)-- I stated that I'd need more detail regarding the purpose of the call before answering. The rep refused to state anything beyond "Recent inquiry on your account" until I divulged PII. I told him I feared this call was fraud and hung up.

Question: Does Citi make a practice of calling to review apps? I tried the link for "Check status" online, and it provided no new info. Though, curiously, it did state they'd follow up with me "via mail or email", not phone.
Unfortunately this isn't uncommon if you've been churning and get the 7-10 day message, and don't call them. Call one of the contact phone numbers in the wiki (such as (800) 695-5171). They'll get it processed for you quickly. They've pretty much stopped approving cards for frequent appliers without a phone call, so we don't even wait anymore - we generally call the same day we apply.