FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AVIS etoll charges? How to avoid it?
View Single Post
Old Jan 15, 2019, 8:35 am
GOTBound

Programs: Eurobonus Gold [*AG], Finnair Gold [OWS] HHonors Diamond, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by docbert
You don't have to opt-in as such - simply going through a toll that gets charged to Avis results in you being charged.

Whether it's a good deal or not depends entirely on how much you use it. For example, in the SF Bay area, a lot of tourists will rent a car for a week or more, but only use a single toll - the Golden Gate Bridge (the only non-cash toll road in the bay area), so they end up paying $8 for the toll, and ~$20 for the fee, which is obviously fairly significant.

After being sued over this more than once, Hertz have changed their pricing to only charge on the (calendar) days that you actually use a toll, but got rid of the cap. Good for the occasional toll users, less good for the long-rental-tolls-every-day renters.
Thx. I'll be driving a lot in Orlando and the Broward-Dade area as well on the Turnpike so I will add on my share part of tolls, but as you said it all depends on the number of tolls passages (or days of toll passages).
You are right adopt the "opt-in" the leveler on the transponder is default ON if I recall correctly from my last rental in Florida back in 2017.

EK