FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Careers that allow one to get BAEC GGL at a young age
Old Jan 15, 2019, 4:13 am
MeltingAlf

Programs: A3 *G, BA OWS, VS Gold, IHG Diamond Amb, Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by Jagboi
Oil and Gas has had a very rough last 3 years, you won't be seeing any J travel as a new hire. A phrase I have heard more than once is that "oil is only found in the armpit of the world", i.e. typically not places you'd ever want to visit. Siberia or Ft St John BC in January come to mind, or Saudi in July. Or Oklahoma anytime
Here to chime in a word, Old Mdm MeltingAlf got a lot less travel in an oil and gas firm than her previous job. Sometimes it really depends what you get, and where as well. Even in MBB, I think it really depends on which office you're based in as well.

Also, OP, you're not much younger than me - maybe 4 or 5 years?, and there was a time I was in your position; where my mum's SQ PPS seems rad and amazeballs, and that seems like a thing to gun for - except I've never thought that long term like you. Sooner or later you'll realise it's just a card, really, like how I felt after getting my Aegean *G for the first time. It's just what it is - ok, what's next?

These days I find that I enjoy flying more when I get to interact with people - sitting in the cheap seats at the back of the Qantas A380 upper deck and talking to the crew, than in one of those solitary seats up front with minimal contact. Perhaps you don't feel so now, but there might be a day that you very well value human contact enough to give up a significant portion of your flying.