FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Business Extra ("ExtrAA") Program (master thread)
Old Jan 15, 2019, 12:33 am
platbrownguy

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by Fraser
New to the upgrade game here so be gentle, please! ....I have amassed a surfeit of Business Extra points over the last 18 months and with business class fares at almost $3000 per person I'm looking at burning a few on some BXP1s on a JFK-LAX-JFK trip next month for the wife and I.

Am on the 5.15pm JFK-LAX on a Friday, not holding a huge amount of hope on that one, but coming back on a Tuesday LAX-JFK at 3.00pm I am a little more hopeful for something coming through.

I haven't really used Expertflyer much but see there are award alerts and it'll email me if C space opens up. Does anyone know how often the EF sweep is? I have set the alert for one seat, if that opens up can I call and split the PNR and upgrade one person? I assume I'd need to call in to reservations first and then call Meeting Services?

I read somewhere that C space doesn't really open up until 24hrs beforehand on the premium transcons. Does that sound somewhat accurate?

Any other pointers on recent Y-J with BXP1s on the premium transcons? Was hoping to use them on J-F but the fares are more than double what I paid the last few times I flew this route

Thanks!
1. the $659 business fares are still out there, just primarily at odd times or weekends ($559 has been Saturdays only for a while), and always only on advance purchase. Google Flights is useful for finding them. Keep in mind that you can use same-day flight change to get on another flight in the same fare bucket (for business class) and then use a BXP1 to get to F. unfortunately the $859 fares are generally gone -- if the $659 is unavailable then it seems to be $1100-1300 or higher.

2. I'd say C might pop up more in the 36-48 hour range. EF is pretty reliable at this.

3. You mention calling both AA and Meeting Services. You'd only have to do this if you need to upfare to get out of B/N/O/Q/S (call AA to avoid the $200 change fee, which technically they could still charge you but in my and others' experience they don't) and then call Meeting Services to apply the BXP1. If your ticket is already in an eligible fare class (i.e. not B/N/O/Q/S) then you'd only need to make one phone call, to Meeting Services. Note their limited hours and there's nothing you can do if C goes away when they're closed.

4. I don't see the benefit to splitting the PNR in advance and I wouldn't necessarily waitlist the BXP1. People have all kinds of trouble (read upthread) getting Meeting Services to clear them. I'd rather wait until C is available and then call to apply the BXP1, and if only one is available, split it then.