FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - W Maldives [Master Thread]
View Single Post
Old Jan 13, 2019, 8:33 pm
bgriff

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by MrM2016
bgriff, thanks for sharing. Tremendously useful.

Does the hotel offer complimentary bottled water as well? I think you allude to this with the W branded bottles? I suspect it's from the same source as the tap water anyway, but better half always prefers bottled.
There are no complimentary sealed bottles of water (other than that we did get a couple of small Evian bottles in our welcome snack spread). The complimentary bottles are reusable glass bottles with W branding which the staff replaces at twice daily housekeeping. Same glass bottles are on offer at the gym. I’ve seen similar setups at a few other remote resorts as a way to reduce plastic bottle waste, which seems reasonable enough to me.

Water in bottles is mentioned in the hotel guide book as being subjected to some crystal filtration system; no idea if that’s a further step than what the tap water gets, but yeah, I’d assume the bottle water ultimately comes from that same tap water process. If you want sealed bottles, Evian is offered at all bars / restaurants at 750mL for $12, or a smaller bottle size in the minibar for $7.

Btw, two other salient points I forgot to mention (in response to complaints I’ve seen about other Maldives resorts): one, the AC in the room is very good and can keep the room nice and cool even midday as long as you keep the doors closed. And two, the WiFi is respectably fast considering the location, and can even sometimes handle streaming video, though not always reliably. The speed seems to come and go so not sure if that’s due to how many other people are using it, or what.