FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Khao Yai or Khao Sam Roi Yot or Other?
View Single Post
Old Jan 13, 2019, 8:01 pm
SQTraveller

Originally Posted by fishfly
Thanks for the comments about taxis. I didn't realize taxis don't just drop you off into Point B. Seems like we'd have to join an overnight tour to visit these places.

Would I need a an IDP or a US license ok? There are conflicting comments. But seems like we'd have to take guided tours to get outside of Bangkok to be safe.
First comment about taxis. Sometimes taxi drivers are willing to chaffeur your around for a flat fare. In fact, most of the drivers have a price chart hanging on the back of the seat for various destinations. For them this is good as they have a confirmed income so often works out well.
The big issue you will have is trying to communicate your intentions to stay longer and still need them to hang around as most taxi drivers don't have great English skills.They know destinations but trying to say you want to stay overnight might be a challenge - solved by asking your hotel concierge to talk with them.
Also while this is the "land of smiles" you will need to have some caution in the way you approach this.

Second, if you are not familiar with driving in Thailand, it is not something I would recommend. Driving etiquette is probably not what you are used to. For example you might be used to using your car horn when people cut you up, but in Thailand, it might end up being an invite for a fight.