FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Will Southwest's entry into the inter-island market lower fares?
Old Jan 13, 2019, 9:52 am
iahphx
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CRJ200flyer
The data does not support that claim. Let's take the same public data source, and look at all 45 domestic U.S. market-carrier combinations with significant traffic (>50 daily pax), <200 mile stage length, and marketed and/or operated by a major U.S. carrier. If we look at the 15 with the LOWEST fares, we find that all 7 markets that HA serves <200 miles are among the cheapest 10 of 45 similar markets nationwide, YE2Q18.

Well, the reality on the mainland is that ultra short haul flights are dumb for most folks. It is unimaginable to me that I'd buy a ticket for a sub-200 mile flight if I had ANY land option available. So those flights will be unpopular and priced for a few biz travellers. The Hawaiian situation is totally different.

I also wonder about the data. I was actually looking to buy a HNL-MKK flight the other day. The cheapest HA fare for this 54 mile flight is $69. If you exclude the taxes, that's $1/mile. Ouch.

Originally Posted by msp3
I can see it now, with WN style scum class non-reserved seating, locals will abuse it just like how unpleasant old Chinese and Filipino women sit on the outside seats of Da Bus (city bus) and block the inside seat with the garbage they’re lugging around and unless you stare them down they won’t move out of the way no matter how crowded
Well, if Frontier entered the market with $19 fares, maybe you'd have a few annoying pax. But I guarantee you that the WN crowd would be as kind and courteous as on any other US flight.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jan 13, 2019 at 6:29 pm Reason: consecutive posts merged