FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Getting a Chinese Drivers License
View Single Post
Old Jan 12, 2019, 5:59 pm
moondog
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by STS-134
Last year, I was unable to rent a car with those temporary licenses that they give at the airport (valid for only the duration of my visa, which is 60 days per entry). Seems like a lot of the car rental companies require a regular license before they'll rent a car to you. Doing more research, it looks like in order to get a regular license, you need a visa that is > 90 days/entry. Is this the only way or are foreigners with visas of <= 90 days/entry allowed to take the test and get a regular driver's license? If I have to get a new visa, I'll do it, but it's an extra trip to the consulate and that's annoying.
The rules vary widely between regions AND change frequently. If you're hell bent on getting a drivers license, I suggest you research individual provinces/municipalities, and plan on making some phone calls.

Following are questions I would focus on:
1. qualifying visa types
2. what is the visa remaining validity requirement?
3. which hospitals do you approve for the health check?
4. apart from the passport/visa, foreign drivers license, and the health check form, what other documents are required? (Most want to see a residence permit of some sort.)

Apart from the above, when you actually get around to applying, make sure you have several passport sized photos ready to give out.