FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - New RA qualifying criteria based on IC Revenue
Old Jan 12, 2019, 12:48 pm
Eltham

Programs: SQ TPPS (21),QF G, NZ E, IHG D Amb, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, Shangri-La Jade, Accor Plat, Hertz P
Originally Posted by Kimsbrand
The thing is I still don't get it how someone can call a marketing strategy (what a term for simply not disclosing top tier requirements...) as effective, when the reactions by those who generate a lot of revenue and even don't get a response to their questions are "Well, then I spend my money somewhere else." But as you said, your view is as valid as anyone else's.
Originally Posted by turner32
I doubt even IHG would deem their handling of their top-tier status as "well thought-out and effective", let alone anyone else.

If their aim is to alienate loyal customers, however, they excel at this. Constantly changing the re-qualification criteria, to the point where we don't know what hoops we need to jump through, does not help foster loyalty. It suggests a complete lack of organisation and coherence, rather than the diligence and careful planning of some marketing genius.

A better approach would be a mid term review of the account and then perhaps an email saying something like "Keep going, spend another $' 000's or x amount of nights by the end of the year to retain your status"

At least you'd know where you stand, rather than trying to hit a moving target.

BTW, is there really any need for your snide and sarcastic comments?
We obviously won’t agree on any of this, but it’s clear to me that there has been a conscious decision to keep people guessing around RA status. In this tiny sample who take the time to post here, most of whom are highly focused on maximising points/rewards/status etc that creates frustration. Outside FT I’m pretty sure there are vast numbers who just like staying at ICs for whatever reason, and are delighted when they receive an invitation. To condemn it in this small subset is perhaps comforting but there’s a (much) bigger customer group than this. Overall I’m sure IHG is benefiting, or they would make some change to the system.