FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 2019 UA MP elite status buy-up offers(for higher status than earned in 2018)
Old Jan 12, 2019, 12:31 pm
bmw303

Originally Posted by MrGood
Awaiting the UA upgrade/buy-up offers for 2019 status! I am Gold with 114k PQM, 70 PQS & $8545 PQD. This is my 1st year starting out as Gold, and before year's end I plan to qualify for 1K. I travel for leisure with my companion (who's Platinum ) and book within 1 week or less for all flights, all based out of EWR and PHL and most of them going to Central America. We plan to use my companion's 2 RPU's for a different destination such as TC or Hawaii, and I'm considering the buy up to enjoy the easier upgrades & 2 extra RPU's on the way to 1K -- however I'm not too sure if it's worth it?

Jay

1/11/19 Update: The promotion is now active!! My offer for Platinum is $599, which initially seems like a good deal compared to other offers... NO IDEA how they calibrate the cost though
Originally Posted by Kacee
Not in my opinion. What's the perceived extra value to you?
MrGood: Your question is whether it makes sense to pay $599 now for the incremental benefit of Platinum over Gold for your flights up til 2019 Q3.

$599 could make sense. We value RPUs at about $100 each here, but I think there is added value of getting them directly from united , so from United would value at about $125-150 each. Thats about $250-300 in the regionals alone. Then you get added miles. Since you said you will make platinum in Q3, that means you will spend $8.99k as a Gold (should you not take this offer). As a platinum, you get 1 mile more per dollar over Gold which means you would earn an additional 9k miles, which I value at 1.5c each so about $135.

So we already have value between $390-440.

Then you have reduced fee changes for awards, higher complimentary upgrade priority, +7 Econ Plus companions over Gold, higher standby priority, some additional luggage allowance. If you take 2 companions on an international trip for example, the E+ value of that 2nd companion would bring your expected benefit over $600.

If you're asking is $599 reasonable surcharge over Gold and COULD you realize more than $599 of value over Gold, I think the answer is yes to both, but whether you WILL realize more value than $599 depends, as Kacee said, on your projected flying and needs for 2019.

If you WILL or think you probably will realize more value, then accept the offer. If you will not, then decline. If you're unsure, then also consider the time value of money which may push you to say no.

Last edited by bmw303; Jan 12, 2019 at 12:53 pm