FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Bogota - W vs JW Marriott
View Single Post
Old Jan 11, 2019, 5:45 pm
longtimereader firstimeposter

Originally Posted by sethMCOflyer
+1 for this entire comment

With your parents and sharing a room or suite you may want to go for the JW. The W is awesome, one of the best hotels I've been to, but it's an open concept and the bar has some louder music.

If you're going for tourism you can get a refund on the taxes, however I found out that you have to book a refundable rate to do so. I booked a pre-paid, which the W said would be fine, but when I got there I found I couldn't get a refund. Emailing them after my stay with their original emails I simply got a "sorry we told you the wrong thing" and then they quit replying after I asked for a refund.
It's not refundable but rather a package rate (i.e. includes breakfast). The last two times I've staid at this hotel I've had issues with tax refund and I vowed to never stay there again since they confirmed before my visit they would refund the taxes and then at checkout made a big issue of it. You should always triple check your bill in Colombia. I've staid at least 5 times at both the JW and W and I've had billing issues with both: room rate incorrect, funkiness with the rate conversions, mystery minibar charges, taxes that were supposed to be refunded, etc.

W:
  • Pros - Amazing hotel gym, I've always been upgraded to the Fantastic Suite which is amazing, great breakfast buffet in the restaurant, I've had rates as low as $89 USD.
  • Cons - the staff can be a bit standoffish, the location is not great although I do really like the Usaquen neighborhood
JW:
  • Pros - Great but expensive spa treatments, multiple restaurant options (I believe 3), lounge, I've only staid in the a "Junior Suite" which is really just a suite, centrally located for the majority of activities in Bogota
  • Cons - the rates can be astronomical
The JW is a great hotel. This is a highly regarded hotel in Bogota and in fact the President of Colombia was holding meetings when I was staying there this summer.

As for the great taxi debate, I would be more concerned about the taxi drivers pulling petty stuff then any of the millionaire rides of the past. In 2013 a DEA agent was killed during a failed millionaire ride and the government was quick to go after every everyone involved and I believe extradited them to the the US. Regardless, I take Uber everywhere but from the airport. When arriving it's best to arrange transportation.