FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Ultimate Upgrade Question thread
View Single Post
Old Jan 11, 2019, 11:33 am
dddc

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
What about the upgrade bid process?

I've only just come across this a couple of weeks ago. Is this available to all ticket classes? I have a 2 x 2 sectors Q class flights coming up next month (LGW-HKG-BNE, MEL-HKG-LGW) and currently when I put my reference number in, it says:

Unfortunately your trip is not eligible at this time.
Does this mean it's too early or not eligible at all? Do you bid per sector (eg LGW-HKG, HKG-BNE) or the whole through route? Do you bid for both out and in bound flights?

Looking at the FAQs, if I join Asia Miles or the Marco Polo club, my chance "may" be better for an upgrade, but I want to credit my miles to BA (paltry at 25%, but still better in that scheme than one I'd only realistically use once or twice a year). So, would I be able to switch crediting to BA after the upgrade period closes, ie the day before the flight say?

Also, with the comment about original fare paid, would that mean someone on a Q class ticket would need to bid more than someone on an M or full Y ticket? The difference between what I paid and the current PE price is more than what I would pay but I would consider the price of the exit row seats or around that to be something I would consider. To me, that's the opportunity cost of PE. But the general impression I'm getting is that the upgrades go to those who basically pay the fare difference to the next cabin. Would people concur with that?