FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Should I burn a SWU to go J -> F on HKG -> DFW
Old Jan 11, 2019, 8:35 am
WiscAZ

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive
Originally Posted by donotblink

I’m also doing 6-7 trips to Europe this year that will probably be booked in Y, so my argument would have been to keep one for one of those, but I’ll plan to do mileage upgrades or LFBUs.
I was faced with the same question back when there was a 3 cabin LAX-SYD flight. I booked J and was faced with using an SWU to go to F. I ultimately did it, and was very happy with the decision. With that being said. I take a maximum of 3 international trips a year - 2 of which are to AU where my company allows booking J. The one to Europe is not able to book J so I always save 2 SWUs. The last couple of years I've had to burn 2 SWUs in January on domestic routes because I didn't have as much use for them since there isn't an F cabin to SYD any longer.

Given the number of trips to Europe I'd probably say save it. While the SWU to F isn't a waste, it isn't a ton of difference and you could save some miles on the EU trips.