FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Best Star Alliance Program for Australians
Old Jan 10, 2019, 9:52 pm
seanpodge

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by Notyourbag
Thanks everyone for responding! Very insightful.

For me the biggest benefit for being *G is the lounge access and priority boarding & priority baggage. I'll never need additional baggage and mile redemption isn't the make or break for me. If MileagePlus offered domestic lounge access I would probably stick with that.

The biggest challenge is I doubt I'd actually fly OZ frequently - and from what I've read only Diamond Plus or Platinum is a chance of an upgrade. Having crunched some basic numbers on planned flights for 2019/2020 I still think I'll take the punt and switch to OZ. I wish they had Premium Economy and a wider Asiana lounge offering.
On upgrades, with most if not all *A airlines doing upgrades by each airline's rules (fare class, status, etc.) and not like those silly articles you see suggesting you wear a suit or say it's your wedding anniversary to get an upgrade, your status within Asiana Club isn't too important if you're not flying OZ. Only OZ will know or care which tier you're on with Asiana Club. For all other *A airlines, you're just another *G.

Remember, you don't need to fly OZ at all to get *G and you can access any *G lounge with *G membership, not just OZ lounges.