FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Should I burn a SWU to go J -> F on HKG -> DFW
Old Jan 10, 2019, 8:03 pm
ryan182

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by donotblink
So I only got 4 system-wide upgrades, and had already burned one for the outbound from Y -> J going to Seoul. I wasn't planning on doing the upgrade but I decided to based on everyone's feedback here. The flight isn't until September (and I'm surprised they already have 4 other people booked in F), I'll set Expert Flyer alerts up for all four of those windows and hope for a schedule change so I can do HKG -> LAX (eat at flagship dining) -> JFK (eat at flagship dining again) -> (sleep at my apartment + as long of a stopover/layover as they'll give me) -> Cancun.

I also figured that it's arguably a good value for a SWU because if I was doing a mileage upgrade for this, the cash co-pay would be higher than the Y->J cash co-pay. I'll probably end up doing some mileage upgrades this year, but that's basically all I use my miles for anyway, so that's ok.

Thanks again to everyone for your feedback!
I would use one for this, in fact I am using one on my HKG-LAX-CUN flight - though I connect LAX-DFW-CUN. Thats a long flight and even the "inside" F seats are better than J so IMO that's a solid SWU usage. If you somehow end up getting a sched change that allows you to switch to HKG-LAX-JFK-CUN then its a total no brainer since as you point out you get FFD twice plus F on the transcon LAX-JFK