FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.
View Single Post
Old Jan 10, 2019, 5:25 pm
jlemon
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
21. Now it's 1986 and you are in Van Nuys where your breakfast meeting with a new client has just successfully concluded. You are now off to Milwaukee for a business dinner that same evening. You were planning to drive down Interstate 405 to LAX and catch a flight.....but wait! There's a flight departing Burbank (BUR) just before 11:00 am that will you get you into MKE just after 5:00 pm. One stop will be made en route and better yet a first class window seat is available! Identify the air carrier, the stop and the aircraft type. Equipment was a twin engine jet. It wasn't Continental. The air carrier in question was subsequently acquired by and merged into another airline. The stop was not made in Denver.

I was going to try America West via Phoenix with a 737-200 but it seems they did the acquiring rather than being acquired by other airlines, so let's go with TWA operating an MD80 via St. Louis
21. I agree with you concerning your observation with regard to America West - I think it was a case of the tail wagging the dog! And given the fact that TWA was acquired by American, this is a great guess on your part.

However, the airline in question wasn't TWA and the stop was not made at STL. On the plus side of the column, you have correctly guessed the equipment: the McDonnell Douglas MD-80.