FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Ultimate Upgrade Question thread
View Single Post
Old Jan 10, 2019, 11:37 am
cxfan1960

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by triplefives
On a recent longhaul flight, wife and I booked separate tickets (hers on CX, mine on AA). She's MPC Silver, I am OWE. She got upgraded to PE from Y - nothing special for me with an AA ticket on CX metal. I do fly on CX way more than she does so it shouldn't be a "CIV" score thing.

Out of curiosity, we asked nicely if Silver should get preference over OWE and didn't get a straight answer (CX staff out of SFO is pretty clueless - one even said MPC Silver is higher than OWE (no proof one way or another but I remember seeing a chart on FT that surmises OWE should having higher priority over MPC Silver).

Usually, there's no way of knowing who got upgraded to what via which status they're holding so the results were somewhat interesting, but my suspicion is the difference with the ticket stock was the difference maker here.
I also remember that OWE used to be between GO and SL, but I saw another lately that SL was ahead of OWE. You are probably right. Ticket stock may also make the difference. AFAIK, CIV score is only a tie-breaker.