FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Marriott vs Hilton (and other hotel program comparisons)
Old Jan 10, 2019, 9:33 am
msnflier

Programs: DL GM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold, National Emerald Exec-Elite; Hertz Five Star
Here's how I view it today; others' mileage may vary.

For many years (as in going back to about 1999), I'd made Marriott Gold almost every year. I also had a smattering of IHG stays when our rates weren't available at Marriotts - enough to make IHG's useless Gold level. Beginning about 8-10 years ago, I began finding that many IHG properties had become very consistent after IHG instituted what amounted to a "fix it, freshen it or lose your IHG flag" initiative. Since 1999, I almost never stayed at SPGs because they didn't have properties where I went for work, the reviews I'd see weren't favorable or our rates weren't available.

About 5-6 years ago, I happened upon a Hilton Gold promo and decided to give them a shot. Soon after making Gold, I had switched quite a bit of my business to Hilton, where I've typically looked for our rate in the following order: Hiltons, Garden Inns and then Hamptons. In many of the places I visited back then, the Hiltons were often older and needed work whereas Garden Inns and Hamptons were nearly always newer build properties/had been recently refreshed. Additionally, I liked the HGIs' made-to-order breakfast option so I'd book those - especially if the Hilton was older or I'd found that its Executive Lounge wasn't very good. In 2017, I traveled like crazy and made Diamond. Like many here, I didn't see much of any difference in how I was treated as a Diamond in 2018 vs Gold in 2017 so I'm not sure it's really worth it (I'll be Gold in 2019). Additionally, I concur with the view that HHonors has been tremendously devalued.

Nonetheless, I traveled enough that I continued making Gold with Marriott (now Platinum after the Marriott/SPG programs merged), in part because in a couple cities I visit for work the Marriotts are much better than the Hilton properties. Additionally, Marriott seemed to up its game a bit on the program side so that enticed me. With the advent of the SPG acquisition, I stayed at a couple of Westins where our rates were available because there was no longer a downside since my stays/points would (allegedly) be combined toward status so I wasn't "losing" a night like I would have in the past. I also made IHG Gold for 2019 and I've been tempted to shift more business their way, especially at their European and Asian properties.

Starting this year, my strategy will likely be to make Gold/Platinum with Hilton/Marriott. In 2018, I registered and met the terms of a couple great promotions and I'll be Marriott Platinum and Hilton Gold through 2020, so I've got some breathing room this year. Having been to the proverbial "top of the moutain" with Hilton as a Diamond, I've determined that Gold with them/Plat with Marriott is good enough and I'll continue looking to IHG properties in a pinch.

Good luck!

Last edited by msnflier; Jan 10, 2019 at 4:28 pm