FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Unauthorized Cancelation of AS Asian Award Reservation
Old Jan 9, 2019, 11:58 am
KnownasEric

Originally Posted by tom911
I wonder what info they track when a booking is cancelled. For my tech friends, would it be plausible that Alaska has access to the IP address the booking was cancelled from? Would something like that at least show if it was cancelled in a different city than Nazdoom's hotel, or a different country for that matter. Some other info Alaska might track when you cancel on-line?
Likely a pointless endeavor. The thief would be stupid to use their own local IP and probably tunneled in through a VPN, which could show an IP from any number of places, countries, or continents. I would be more concerned as the OP:
  1. Change your passwords to your accounts
  2. Did you share any of the flight details they could use to cancel the account on social media? Anywhere they could have access?
  3. Did you try and do anything (selecting seats, booking, changing seats, checking status) on a public machine? A hotel business center?
Access is typically achieved by something very simple. Could have been as easy as someone sitting next to you.