FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - U.S. citizen used NEXUS pass to smuggle 67 guns into Canada
Old Jan 9, 2019, 6:23 am
xobile

Programs: EY
Originally Posted by Badenoch
It wouldn't surprise me if this story causes Nexus holders coming into Canada to be more closely examined particularly at land crossings.

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/201...to-canada.html
>>
The authorities looked into Jackson’s cross-border and gun purchasing history after Toronto police seized a loaded Glock 19 9 mm handgun. They determined he was the source, that he had a girlfriend and children in London, Ont., and was a regular traveller to Canada using a Nexus pass.

I think that's a key point, they presumably flagged him once they found a gun in Canada that they could link to him. The details are scarce in the article, but presumably they had him on a list to check once they found that gun, if only for questioning as to his relationship to it, how it got to Canada, etc. And once they pulled him in and did a search they may have found more guns. So there were extenuating circumstances that would have flagged him vs a regular NEXUS traveler. I'm sure CBSA/CBP are aware some people will try to abuse the program. There was a NEXUS couple in Philadelphia caught with 30 pounds of undeclared rice from India. Which is prohibited due to the potential presence of beetles. That's why they say you are always subject to a regular check.