FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - ARCHIVE: Expiring SWU / VIP giveaway (strictly freely given): 2018 Edition
Old Jan 9, 2019, 2:02 am
brengaz

Originally Posted by lovefly88
Is there a way to search online at AA website for confirmable space?
If the itenarary starts on 1/31, overnight layover in ORD, long haul on 2/1 will that be alright since it started on Jan 31?
Are there taxes and fees assosciated with it?

this is incredibly generous of y’all and if I had them I would do the same.
I don't think the flight on 2/1 will be eligible, since it departs after the expiration of the SWUs.
In the old days this had a chance to work, but here is another thread describing how AA has deployed software to prevent agents from applying SWUs before expiration to flights departing after 1/31,
In general, no taxes and fees. In practice, there are some cases. IE if your flight originates from the UK, AA collects the extra luxury tax charged to passengers in premium cabins.

As far as searching for confirmable space, most people use EF, but only the paid version works for this.
Another (only if you're logged in an EXP account) is to start a reservation and see if AA shows 'systemwide upgrade' options.
This will not tell you how many seats are available for upgrades, but it will tell you if there are any.