FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Problem with Sixt-Frankfurt, scam?
View Single Post
Old Jan 8, 2019, 2:22 pm
AKSteveB

Programs: AS MVPG, SPG Gold, ICH P Club Plat, Hertz#1 5Star, Marriott Gold
Problem with Sixt-Frankfurt, scam?

I rented a vehicle from Sixt in Frankfurt in July, with a return to Berlin-Tegel, with 0 deductible "SuperCover." Returned vehicle without incident. Three and a half months or so later, I get a letter from them stating that there was damage to the vehicle, and furthermore, that the Cover was invalid because I "Left the scene of the accident according to witnesses." I, of course, had no idea what they were talking about. They did send a blurry picture of the car showing some damage, but could not release details on the witnesses, due to "privacy law." I, of course responded, stating that I had no idea of said accident, and furthermore, if I had, I would not, just leave. Basically, my word vs. theirs. I made it clear that I had no intent to pay. I got one further mail offering a bit of a "discount" on the charges if I paid by Date X, which I ignored. I then, about a week ago, got a mail from a law firm in Frankfurt attempting to collect, and if not paid, threatening further action.

My suspicion is this is a scam, since I've seen issues like this pop up in this forum before. My inclination is to not reply any further, since I am an American citizen, living in the U.S. there is no realistic way to enforce collections, but I do want to make sure there aren't any implications beyond perhaps going on Sixt's "No rent list."

1) While I have no immediate plans to rent in Germany again in the near future, I'm sure I will at some point. Would this put me at risk of arrest or denial of entry if there was a judgement against me.
2) If so, is there reciprocity between EU countries on this kind of thing.

The amount is about 2000 EU. I *detest* the idea of paying this, but short of hiring a German Attorney, I'm afraid I might be stuck, if it will create problems in the future.

Any advice is appreciated.