FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AirPass Prepaid Travel (née AAirpass, not Lifetime Airpass) Master Thread
Old Jan 7, 2019, 10:15 pm
FleyeSkyHigh

Originally Posted by Joseliz
Hi all, is the "buy-in" of $10-30K required to be spent in the calendar year or rolling 1-year of signing up? Does any roll over?
The calendar year is irrelevant. Initial "buy-in" contract is one year from date they receive the funds. You can opt for a 1 year extension less a small discount...I believe its around a few percentage points of remaining balance or some multiplier of months left times $50 or so dollars. Or you can sign a new contract co-terminus with your existing at a minimum of $10K in which case any remaining balance rolls to the new contract. My take is buying Airpass these days only makes sense if you typically would spend the same amount with AA in premium cabin travel with in a year. Chasing AA Status with Airpass is pointless since the value of AA status has been so depreciated. If your chasing status do the math carefully and buy a couple long haul J or F tickets and you will save $$$.

FYI: I hear the business side of AA is trying to kill the program (or limit it to true corporations only that have multiple travelers) while the marketing side of AA is trying to push the program with a new partnership with American Express as you now can use credit cards to fund the contract. Typical AA...Lets enhance the premium flying experience but slash the menu, service and shrink the bathroom of new planes to the size of a capsule.