FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hong Kong Airlines - feedback?
View Single Post
Old Jan 7, 2019, 9:35 pm
samplat

Programs: UA 1P 1MM, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
Just completed a YVR-HKG-HAN, BKK-HKG-YVR trip on Hong Kong Airlines in Y yesterday. Overall, the flights were fine and I found their service comparable to other airlines such as Eva and Asiana.

The planes are clean and well-maintained, and the cabin staff was always attentive and efficient in responding to requests. The meals were decent and the in-flight entertainment is good enough to keep you occupied for a while. The flights were all on time or early and I don’t really have any complaints about the in-air service.

The main issues experienced were all before we took off or after we landed. Specifically, one of our checked bags was lost and their HKG staff had no clue where it was. It took 3 days and ongoing escalation from my end for them to figure out where it was (delayed baggage comp offer for two passengers impacted by this : USD 65 total)

Somehow they also kept trying to assign us seats in the rear of the plane or split us across middle seats, even though I had confirmed seats with customer service. There was no equipment change and no other reasoning offered aside from “I think maybe you misunderstood”, but they finally managed to resolve the issue in each case after I showed them printout of seat assignments etc.

I can’t comment on the risks due to the financials etc., but in terms of the flight itself, I wouldn’t hesitate to fly Hong Kong airlines again if a good deal is available (but will definitely pack a change of clothing to deal with delayed luggage etc.)