FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Andrew Zimmern fired for critiquing Chinese food
Old Jan 7, 2019, 10:21 am
pinniped
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by cubbie
Just wondering, why hasn't a moderator moved this thread to the Dining forum? Three pages in so far, it has failed to manifest either a political or religious angle.

I'm inclined to agree with Mr. Zimmern. Here in my part of the Midwest, nearly all Chinese food is, as someone said above, "mall food quality." Really memorably good Chinese food is at least a 45-min drive away ... and that's living in one of Chicago's collar counties. It doesn't get better as you drive farther away from the big city.
Makes me think Zimmern could have phrased this differently.

It has nothing to do with the Midwest USA. I've had sh*tty Chinese food in the UK, Canada, and most regions of the U.S.

It has nothing to do with China, America, recent immigrants, or actual heartfelt and skilled attempts at culinary fusion.

He could have rightfully and without controversy railed on the thousands of Chinese restaurants that completely phone it in because they know people are more than happy to buy $8 takeout sweet & sour chicken. Or belly up to the $5.99 MSG buffet at lunch. The rant is really directed at those of us who consume mall-quality food. (I'm guilty too...how else would I have gotten through college without really cheap late-night Chinese takeout?)

But then again, I don't follow this guy and from this thread am aware he's on a mission to sell his own product. So I realize I'm not talking about an unbiased food critic here.