FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Compensation for spilt coffee (burn and shirt)
Old Jan 7, 2019, 8:30 am
navylad

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Compensation for spilt coffee (burn and shirt)

Thank you in advance for your wisdom and any advice you offer, my experience dealing with AA in the past has been purely for IRROPS, and have no experience of their customer relations.

i was flying on a BA ticketed AA operated flight PHL-LHR last week. Opting not to be woken for breakfast, unfortunately the CC spilt hot coffee when putting the coffee pot back on the cart having served the pax in the opposite seat, this poured onto my seat and back, staining my shirt and causing a scald on my back and waking me up from my sleep. Mistakes happen.

CC didn’t realise, even when I said “you’ve spilt coffee on me, can I get some serviettes”, she got me the serviettes from the valley but no mention of an apology.

Hacibg gone to the WC and carried out burn first aid action as best as possible (difficult when the scald is on your back and the taps so difficult to access, thankfully I had an empty water bottle to assist) I spoke with the senior CC who appeared disengenious in her answer “oh I’m sorry I’m sure she didn’t mean to”.

I contacted Ted customer relations who have offered either 1500 bonus miles (I’m not an AAdvantage member) or a $25 dollar voucher for future travel with AA, plus the cost of dry cleaning of the shirt.

My question essentially is what would you do in my shoes? Options I guess are 1. Accept the miles 2. Accept the voucher (how easy are these vouchers to use- most of my flights booked with AA are around the $2k+ value so realistically makes little difference, 3. Request complaint is escalated 5. Decline offer out of principle as an insult and avoid flying AA in the future (fully aware that flying BA to US means AA get some of the profits too).