FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AM - YVR to LIM ~US $750 in J Roundtrip
View Single Post
Old Jan 6, 2019, 12:19 pm
Biscoff27

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by Utskicat
Was the good food out of MEX on MEX-JFK or just MEX-LIM? I've seen several posts that they treat MEX-JFK 787 flight like a domestic flight with subpar catering and not the usual blankets and pillows they use on long haul.
As mentioned in my post, on the MEX-JFK leg I had a goat cheese tamale (the other option was chilaquiles); hands down the best tasting airplane meal I have had in the past year or two. No, it was not served in 3 course fashion, but it was a 4 hour flight. I was happy to get it quickly and lie down.

I think there was somewhat lesser service from MEX-LAX (no printed menus, less wine options, etc), though the actual food options were the same when I flew MEX-LIM. I think the actual flight time on the former was 3.5 hours, and latter about 5.5 hours.

The pillow and blanket on the 787 from MEX-JFK were the same domestic type ones that I got on the 737's from JFK-MEX, MEX-LIM, MEX-UIO, etc. For four hours this was sufficient. The worst flight was UIO-MEX. That 737 did not have reclining foot rests, there was either no pillow or blanket, the food was bad, and we were delayed an hour or two, so we left around 2 in the morning. Of the 8 AM legs I took last year, that was the only one I did not enjoy.

For the JFK-MEX leg--we bought tickets about 4-5 months in advance, and they did swap the 787 to a 737; that was a let down.