FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Qatar Airways / QR: Redeem AA Miles for Award (master thd)
Old Jan 5, 2019, 9:08 pm
MaxVO

Originally Posted by in4tar
Is there a way to uncouple these married segments? I called AA and their agent said there is no way, it is what it is. I know I should eventually try a different agent but thought I would ask here first if that is true. If it is - it's more than weird...I mean - with availability existing for more direct routing, they still want to take you the longest way possible??
Both travelers and service providers are known to act irrationally, and travelers perhaps especially so. If something is currently scarce, we have an unconcious bias to assume that it must be more desirable. And the airlines instinctively assume that whatever travelers currently want must be automatically bad for their bottom line.
Now imagine if the herd of travel bloggers all come out next month with trip reviews like this: I went on insane zigzag award trip, hit 5 Admiral Clubs, stuffed myself silly with free booze and trail mix in each of them -- and it was phenomenal. Thank you AA for stupidly making such convoluted itin's possible. I bet all award segments will become unmarried overnight.