FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Shanghai Lounge Experience - travelling F
Old Jan 5, 2019, 3:01 pm
leisureflyer1234

Programs: BA Gold
Shanghai Lounge Experience - travelling F

Hi All

Just thought I'd share my experience of the Shanghai lounge. We were travelling First on Amex 241 (Flights both ways were good). In Shanghai there is no difference whatso ever between travelling F or J. We used the China Eastern lounge, the Cathay lounge is closed for refurb. I had expected something much grander and found it to be fairly basic for international business class.

We were directed to a section of the lounge dedicated by a BA sign. There was a basic breakfast buffet with no hot food. There were no BA staff present. Next to that was an area dedicated for Cathay with a Chinese style buffet with some hot food. However what struck was that there was also an area designated for the Virgin flight. It was decked out with Virgin branding, including a model aircraft. It had a much fancier buffet with tables laid out with drink displays etc. A member of staff in VS uniform ensured that BA passengers weren't able to get near to their buffet. VS passengers were able to use the BA/CX areas if they wished. So Virgin laid on a lounge experience for their business class passengers that exceed the experience for BA F passengers.

VS went to the trouble of making a special effort whilst it seems that BA couldn't be bothered to offer anything but the basic lounge offering at PVG, even for F passengers. Of course we were on a 241 with fantastic value but if I had paid for the £8k ticket that was on sale a couple of weeks before our flights I think I would have been disappointed