FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Las Vegas, NV
View Single Post
Old Jan 5, 2019, 2:26 pm
Herb687
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by GetawaysRus
I'm scrounging for info and advice. Would appreciate some comments.

My wife has a 40K point free night cert and 1 Suite Night Award request remaining for 2019. We'll be driving home and passing through Las Vegas on a Friday in late May and are thinking that a one night stopover using that 40K certificate might be fun. Since we'll have our car, we could stay off-strip. This is mostly to just relax and hope for a nice room (hopefully a room upgrade) in order to break up a long drive. So, which hotel to pick? Her status is Plat Premier.

I have gleaned the following from FT threads and the Marriott website (and you can correct me if any of this is wrong):
1. The JW Marriott - no concierge lounge, $15 resort fee for Plats, free continental breakfast with an option to upgrade to the full buffet for $10, no parking fee, away from the strip. According to the Marriott website there are 79 suites out of a 469 rooms. Basic rooms seem to be 560 sq feet. We'd get drink coupons, but we're not big drinkers and most of those coupons would go unused.
2. Renaissance - does have a lounge, but it may be closed on Friday evening, lounge breakfast may be fairly plain vanilla, $15 parking fee, only 30 suites out of 518 rooms, basic King room is 395 sq feet.
3. Las Vegas Marriott - all suite, but these are not that grand or impressive from the pictures (380 sq feet), no lounge, has a good full breakfast buffet, $15 parking fee

So....

If you're looking for a one night stopover to make our long drive more leisurely and more fun, and hoping for a chance of a nice room and nice treatment, which would you choose? None of these seem perfect for us. Or should I look at other properties? (I just don't like the idea of using a 40K certificate at a 25K point Vegas hotel.)
If you're just looking for rest and relaxation somewhere nice, the location of both the Marriott and Rennaisance by the Convention Center seems lousy. Sure it's off the Strip, but not in a good way.

If I was going to be around Las Vegas, wanted a nice place, was loyal to Marriott, and didn't care about gambling or drinking on the Strip, I'd certainly opt for the JW Marriott.

Would your certificates also work at legacy Starwood properties? Isn't there a Westin at Lake Las Vegas?

(Obviously avoid the regular Westin Las Vegas on Flamingo Rd. It's a dump. Hardly any suites either.)