FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Vegan wine in CW
View Single Post
Old Jan 5, 2019, 4:35 am
BOStonTravels
Suspended

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by flatlander
If you're extremely strict about the interpretation of vegan, then fining agents like gelatin (from animal bones), isinglass (from fish swim bladders) or (chicken) egg whites are not vegan and the wine they are used in is not vegan. The actual amount of fining agent, whether it's these or a variant of agar, remaining in the wine should be zero. So there's a "fruit of the forbidden tree", or "some transitive animal involvement" here. Compare "I don't wear leather because...".

The rise and rise of veganity as a social construct is a different, yet also interesting question; so much publicity for so small a minority (<5% of people). I note that the wines are not stated to be vegetarian or not (i.e., egg is OK, fish/animal products are not).
Amazingly informative and intelligent post, I loved reading it!

I may have missed the mention of this but for those interested any wine that is kosher is vegan as kosher certification does not allow for any animal products in the process. So for example, it would be easy to look for wines from Israel, many of which are very high quality, and would be vegan or simply look for wines with a proper kosher certification.

Last edited by BOStonTravels; Jan 5, 2019 at 5:38 am Reason: Adding caution that some kosher wines may contain egg products as I clarified in later post