FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later
Old Jan 5, 2019, 2:41 am
NWplatinum

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward

I shorted AS miles (four digit balance, burned this year) and went long *A. Feel pretty good about that one.
Enjoy *A J. The problem with star alliance is you never get that wow factor, and get to fly first class (maybe except for SQ which is hard to find) for the most part. Whereas with mileageplan you can’t beat the F redemptions using AS for JL, CX, and EK. I love being able to take a shower at 40,000 feet with my AS miles.

Originally Posted by soy
Ha Ha, I hear they are planning a special service for those on this fare, with Korbel and tinned tuna replacing the Krug and Caviar

Seriously, I could imagine them limiting the number of bottles of Krug they are loading. A first cabin full of FT maximizers could do serious damage to the Krug budget
I asked in the mistake fare thread how they could honor the mistake fare given the loads on my flights, of which both directions have my JFK-HKG-JFK F cabins full. Admittedly, I am going over a bank holiday weekend, plus it’s close to Chinese new year. So it’s not a good judge of how much was given away. @channa explained and broke it down for me with the load factors. It really hasn’t impacted them that much in the grand scheme of things. This mistake fare basically gave CX more cash for award tickets they’d give away anyway for less money. Plus they never sell out their F cabins anyway, so might as well get $1500 for an empty seat. I’m assuming this is how they are justifying it. Not to mention the HUGE influx of a large sum of cash CX got on January 1st. I hope this gives CX more ideas to release deals like this in the future. They obviously are making some money on this mistake fare, or theres no way they’d honor it.