FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Vietnam to US mistake fare discussion - 2019 Cathay New Year's gift
Old Jan 4, 2019, 12:56 am
Chogori K2

Originally Posted by Visconti
I suspect that before making the decision to honor the fares, CX, like all major companies, crunched all of the numbers and felt the benefit (goodwill) exceeded the potential losses. Whether or not they're correct, is another issue. Given this company's history with hedging, they appear more like a contrarian indicator, when it comes to placing the future into the service of the present. However, given the mistake, either choice would be a bad (wrong) one; but, what's important is that they make a decision quickly, and without any hesitation or backtracking. Either way, CX would be criticized, and, with hindsight analysis, whatever they do will prove "wrong."

However, two things can be true at the same time: (1) those who bought these fares got a great deal, and should feel good about the value they've captured; (2) those HKG flyers who are "captive" or those who (like myself) may have their HKF - JFK routes adversely affected, while bearing NO ill-will towards the first group, may rightfully feel a tad aggrieved. In either case, it's only for a part of 2019, and there are other options, though, admittedly, none as convenient as CX from HKG to NA.
I like the way you talk