FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 5x points and FHR?
View Single Post
Old Jan 3, 2019, 2:57 pm
GundamWing01

Originally Posted by Kacee
Well the alternative is to not prepay with Plat, but instead pay with your SPG Amex, for 23.5x.

IMO the 5x for prepay is most valuable when you're going outside the loyalty program.
very true and hopefully people see that 5x MR FHR prepaid is not a good deal for large chain loyalty. meaning, if you are Starriott PP and have some type of Starriott CC then you are getting 23.5x/$1. no way would i give that up for FHR 5x MR. just doesnt make sense when PP gives you much of the same benefits.

even if you are outside the loyalty program, you forgo CC spend flexibility for 5x MR. meaning, Amex offers, hitting min spend, other spending bonuses and etc. based on your travels, it may be useful, but for some, 5x FHR could be useless. not to mention so many other variables such as focus on cheap one night stays or cheaper longer term stays where you dont need "fine hotels" in which case 3x CSR or Prestige would be useful.

however, one thing I am unclear is the future of FHR bookings. will it become all prepaid only like OTA? i thought that was the plan vs FHR w/ pay onsite upon checkout.