FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - I'm so fed up with Uber for charging more than the agreed upon price
Old Jan 3, 2019, 12:27 pm
lamphs

Can the Uber/driver adjust his/her route to maximize income?

I didn't want to start a new thread, so I thought this was the best thread for this question.

I am definitely a 'gotta have a car guy'. I live in MD, close to DC. But I have discovered that using Uber for a ride into DC is very convenient and hassle-free. I've thought, maybe wrongly, that the cost given is an estimate and the actual cost is based on actual time and mileage. Other than one time when the driver wanted to take me from upper NW DC to Bethesda, MD, via the GW Parkway (because the 'app said so'), forcing me to provide my own directions, I haven't given much thought to this.

Being in the San Jose area of Costa Rica for the past 8 days, I've used Uber extensively. A primary reason being that the neighborhood I am located doesn't have taxis driving by on a regular basis. But Uber certainly saves money. My Uber ride to the airport last Saturday was less than 1/2 the cost of the metered taxi I used from the airport, with similar traffic conditions.

My question is - does Uber or can the drivers adjust the route to best maximize income? I have had 4 primary destinations in 17 trips. Not once, other than the last kilometer, has the route been even close to the same. This morning's ride back from downtown San Jose was primary on backroads, while all of the other rides (same pickup/destination) were on primary roads. And, I'd say the majority of the rides, the driver was regularly checking the designated route and appeared to be making changes to it. Of course, my Espanol is limited, so it is difficult to question the driver (and I hate 'backseat' drivers).

A related question, especially in foreign countries, does the destination not always transmit correctly to the driver? In my 17 trips (again 4 destinations), two of the trips took me to, in one case about a 1/4 mile away from the destination, and in another case, probably a mile or so from the destination. And it was not user error as I used the exact same address each time.

Anyone have insight into this?